Weather can affect repair costs.
- Drivers in the Northeast and Midwest experienced 9 percent increases in average repair costs.
- The West and South only had a 5 percent uptick.
Weather can also affect car parts. 2013 saw temperature extremes with the fourth warmest year on record. It also had more daily record lows than highs for the first time in 20 years*, with record-breaking cold across much of the East, Midwest and parts of the South.
- Battery and thermostat-related repairs are among the parts that saw an increase in repair frequency, which can be partially attributed to their sensitivity to heat and cold.
- “Replace thermostat” experienced the largest jump in rank among most common repairs.
- Battery inspections/replacements were new to the top 10 repairs in the Midwest this year, possibly a result of cold weather.